Sunday, June 30, 2013

Bought 37 Rolls Of 100 Foot Bulk Outdated Tri-x

I bought 37 rolls of 100 foot bulk Tri-x tonight at $50 USD a box and $104 USD for shipping 3 large boxes loaded with film back to Canada, it works out to $1954 USD total.

The film is from an American school and is outdated (Feb 2012) but should be OK for a few more years, I plan on freezing it as soon as it arrives in Canada. The going rate for fresh Tri-x is now $69 USD a roll from B&H plus shipping, brokerage and taxes.

My one worry is that the film will be damaged in some way, from X-rays or poor storage (was kept in a dark closet) etc. I decided thou to take a chance on it, I love this film very much and I need to get as much as I can frozen while it is still available to me. I will use this latest film first as it is outdated but will test it before taking it overseas.

Spending to much money lately, this is another $2000+ but its for film not gear so that is reassuring to me. I will probably shoot 10 1/2 boxes of this stuff  (200 rolls) in October/November. The other 26 1/2 rolls will probably last me through the next 3 or 4 years, then I can move on to my many previously purchased bulk Tri-x rolls (frozen and outdated  in 2014). Hopefully with this latest buy I have at least a 10 year supply of 35mm Tri-x.

These 10 years will hopefully lead to some outstanding negs, and some important powerful photographs. It will be the 49-59 year old period of my life, got to make as many good photos and go into as many exciting new worlds as I can before I hit that scary 60 year old number and slow down physically because of age. Thinking about experiencing those worlds and making these photographs is all terribly exciting!

Of course during this same time period I also expect to shoot hundreds of sheets of 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 film as well (have stockpiles of Tri-x in all those sizes). Gosh I better get off my ass and do some shooting!, this film ain't getting any younger and either am I.

Update:
Just did some calculations, I should get this bulk film to my house for around $55-$60 a roll CAD, the current price from my local camera store is around $103 CAD each.