Tuesday, July 23, 2019

The New Used Hasselblad X1D Medium Format Camera Has Arrived

On July 8th I bought a Hasselblad Medium Format Digital Camera. My new-used X1D Blad arrived today from Greenwich Village New York.

The camera is extremely expensive, especially for someone like me on a security guard salary. I was able to get this slightly beat up version and camera body with the 45mm lens for an OK price of $4700 USD (my max bid was $5001 USD). I still need to scrounge to find all the money to pay for, but it will get paid for eventually. Luckily I have some extra time to pay off my credit card as the camera payment will come not in this months bill but next months.

I have 2 projects planned for the camera. Next year I hope to take a 16x20 camera to Thailand to do a project on evolving Thailand, the mixing of the old and the new, the Thailand from before and the Thailand now. I thought having 2 cameras from 2 different eras, from 2 different technologies might work well. It would fit the theme of old and new, mixing to make one. The plan is to do the landscape, slumscape, cityscape work with the 16x20 Chamonix and all the people portraiture with the Hasselblad X1D digital.

The second X1D Blad project will be devoted to the last years of my mother life. I plan on doing a series of portraits of her using this new digital. Mom is in the early stages of Dementia. With her love and permission I will use the high end digital files to tell her story. A story that might help others in the future who suffer from the same disease. I want the photos to be both uplifting and honest.


Here is the camera complete with a burn from an incense stick, near the hot shoe. That superficial stuff means nothing to me. I just need the camera to work as it should. Need those higher details filed so I can make 4 foot by 4 foot sized detailed prints if needed.
My new used Hasselblad X1D