Friday, July 5, 2019

Last Day "The People Who Live Under The Freeway"

Did a last day making pictures of "The People Who Live Under The Freeway" series. It was a good day. I was only  able to spend about 1 hour 30 minutes but photographed 5 different people in that time span, including 2 new men who were working as scavengers.

The best part of the day was that I was able to say goodbye to everyone and to tell them I would return next year. Lots of friendships and sad faces today. I have some new photos and videos I will post later as time allows. Need to spend much more time on this series next year. I feel very comfortable in the under the freeway world, so many connections now.

Was able to give Khun Bia who lives in an old shack under the freeway 300 baht. Every time it rains he gets partly wet in his shack. Last night there was a hard rain, today when I went in his shack he had buckets set up everywhere with dripping water. Bia's bed also got partly wet as did his clothing. We talked for a bit about multiple subjects. When I gave him the 300 he searched for something to give me back, he gave me a small digital camera he had. I will put it in darkroom #2 as a remembrance of him.

Will miss all my friends under the freeway. Next year will return to photograph them some more and continue to tell their stories. Hopefully I can get a show of their photographs and raise some money to help them all.

Earlier photo of. Khun Bia