Thursday, July 4, 2019

Photo Idea: "Ma Jon Jud", 'A Dog By Itself, Alone'

With all the dog stuff I have been doing of late here in Thai (donations to a dog shelter - with donators help - and feeding dozens of stray dogs here in Cha-am Thailand. I have decided to start work on a new series of photographs. I will call it  "Ma Jon Jud", which is Thai for 'A dog by itself, with no one to take care of it' (a loose translation).

Here are the first street dog photos, made tonight when I went to feed 11 strays on beach road. The first one one had an eye infection of some kind and was rather aggressive to the female dog I mentioned a few days ago, biting and her and barking loudly. The second dog was a small dog by itself who was walking the street near a 7/11 looking for food. He had a rumpled up type skin, a quite beautiful little animal. Not a dog guy at all, been a cat person all my life but I am starting to love these little guys.

Will post more photos in the coming days, if I have an Internet connection. Do not have any time to continue this series, will have to start it again next year when I return to "The Land Of Smiles".

Wish I had started this series earlier but is just occurred to me 15 minutes ago after seeing some of tonight's photo made up close with the 16mm on the Canon 5D M3, shot at 10000 ASA in very very low light. There is a sad lost innocence and vulnerability to these stray street dogs that I had not seen or felt deeply before (I have been coming to Thailand since 1996). I guess that was part of the cat guy thing. Sometimes you do not see what is right in front of your face.

Note* The real benefit of making these social documentary photos might be that they raise awareness and help the dogs. Donations could lead to food, assistance at shelters, provide spaying and neutering etc. Who knows where this could lead. Maybe this series of photographs will  make some dogs lives a bit better. Will see how it goes, you never know how these things will pan out. Later today 100 dogs will get vaccines, so that is a good start!

Dog 1, "Ma Kang Tanon", Cha-am Thailand 2019
Dog 2,  "Ma Kang Tanon", Cha-am Thailand 2019