Sunday, July 14, 2019

Print #2 Library Show

Was working on library show print #2 today after my security night shift. Still have the margin centering problem (watching some Lightroom tutorials tonight on YouTube) and am trying to figure out how to get the soft brownish tone I want in the print. I experimented with a number of setting to achieve the color I want. I will probably settle on something not too creamy but with a hint of brown in the prints blacks. In the darkroom I have always been a fan of that Agfa warm tone look in a print, am trying to achieve something similar digitally.

This young boy was photographed on one of my last days in the dump. I hung out and spoke with numerous people from the family (5 or 6?) in their home and made this pic along the way. The little child was dancing around all the time I was speaking. Making this kind of photo requires multi tasking. Your speaking Thai a bit of Burmese to 6 people at once (your always the center of attention), while making photos at the same time. Meanwhile your covered in sweat and flies.
I often wonder how the families can stay in the dump day after day, for me a few hours and I am wasted, can't wait to get away. Am dreaming of a hot shower and my A/C room with refrigerated cold water. If you have no choice thou you must put up with it, learn to deal with things as best you can. I admire the strength of the families so much. Even little babies like boy in this photo are stronger than I an.

Sometimes I think compassion and understanding only comes when you put the other guys shoes on for a while. Wouldn't it be cool to put a right wing billionaire into the dump world. To force him/her to live there for 1 week or 1 month or 1 year. Make them eat, wash, sleep, sh-t, and WORK in that world. A world this child can not. even dream of leaving. Someone like Donald Trump not being able to leave the filth of the dump. I wonder if that would change his views on certain things. Would it open up some compassion and empathy for the OTHER person, the OTHER life, the OTHER religion, the OTHER culture, the OTHER sex, the OTHER race.

Different shades of brown.