Friday, July 5, 2019

Dog Shelter Vaccine Day

Today was vaccine day at the shelter. It was a major effort getting everything coordinated and to the shelter. My plan was to get everything there around 2pm but ended up getting it done at around 6pm. It was a all day work affair to make it there for 6pm.

The available light was falling fast when I arrived so making the portraits of the dogs with the Rollieflex film camera was difficult. Did my best, will see how it all turns out when I get back to Canada and my darkrooms. I also shot the digital a bit today, which was fast and easy but not sure how good those photos are either. Wanted to do some good work to so I could promote and raise money for the shelter, but am unsure if I did that today. Might have to come back next year and spend several full days at the shelter just doing doggy portraits.

Khun Chai (the husband) and Khun Jew (the wife) who run the shelter were very happy with the donations of 73 vaccine sets, needles, syringes, alcohol and 3 large bags of dog food . Thank you C, L and S for your donations.

I made pictures of all the donated stuff and also did up some videos. A couple videos are of the injections vaccine. Khune Jew and Chai did only 2 injections today because it was late in the day. Those injections were done to show all of you how the vaccines would be used. The rest of the injections will take place tomorrow, it will be an all day thing. The way it all works is that there are 2 capsules that were injected into each dog, one for 5 common diseases and separate injection for rabies. I was told than in the past the rabies vaccine was done as part of the 5 common disease bottle (all mixed together) but for some reason the rabies vaccine did not work as well in that mixture so now it is done separately. All 100 dogs at the shelter will get 2 shots, one for the 5 common diseases and 1 for rabies.

I also made a video of my arrival at the shelter, complete chaos and the continuous barking of the 40 or so dogs in the main area, plus barking from other dog areas nearby. There are a total of 100 dogs in the shelter, about 40 in a large open area the others are kept in a second large caged area of the shelter, some dogs are in individual cages for various reasons, their own protection, if they are overally aggressive, illness, recovering form abuse etc.

Each dog has its own particular story., its own former life. I have a few cute dog stories, a few sad dog stories I will be sharing in the next few days as well.

It was a good day, a day to think back on later and smile. So much more important to do a day like today, versus laying on my fat ass on a beach somewhere. A good day.

Here are some photos of the shelter and the donations. Thank you so much again to all who helped, you are the heroes.

Khun Chai, and Khun Jew n their dog shelter with donations.