Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Dog Vaccine Update

from Facebook....

DOG VACCINE UPDATE

Am trying to arrange the purchase of vaccines (to protect the dogs from 6 common diseases) for the dogs. The whole sale medication company in Bangkok requires 3 days notice, to prepare the vaccines. If we buy 73 units the price is 150 baht (they will not budge from that price), if we buy 100 units the prices drops dramatically to 130 baht.

I also wanted to buy some food for the dogs on my budget of $403 CAD. $150 CAD donated by C and $253. CAD donated by L. I could not figure out how to get this all done on my budget. I guess I donated too much to the Karian people yesterday. But had to help them, could not let that pass, it would have been wrong not to help.

With some effort we figured a way it will all work out still. Here is how we are going to do it (long story).

I spoke to the dog shelter about how to do things and found out they still have not spent their donated money for the 27 vaccines. They had not bought the 27 vaccine yet, they still had the cash waiting to be spent. The shelter was delaying until they could buy 100 doses at a time at the reduced rate (hoping for more donation money).

So we figured a way to do it all.

I will buy 100 doses of dog vaccine at 130 baht a dose. That works out to about $565 CAD (am short about $162 CAD). I will then take the vaccines to the shelter packed in ice. The shelter will use their 27 donated vaccine money to buy rice for the dogs. They should be able to buy about 4-5 sacks of rice (the shelter has a deal to buy rice cheap at a local factory). The shelter will then give me the rice (as part of our donation), I will give them the 27 vaccines. The shelter folks need to make a picture for the original (27) vaccine donators. They promised to buy vaccines with that donated money not rice/food for the dogs. The picture should satisfy those donators that their money was used correctly.

So by doing it this way we will get he 100 vaccines at a cheaper rate, and food for the dogs. Both sides of donators will be respected, their money was used correctly and as promised. Everyone is happy, including the dogs :).

In the end our side will be donating 4-5 sacks of rice to the dogs along with 73 vaccines (the other donator here in Thai is paying for their 27 equalling 100 total does). The total cost on our end will be $565 CAD (depending on the daily fluctuating exchange rates). I will make up the difference of $162 using my security guard money savings. The donated money for "Families of the Dump" will remain independent and protected for next years trip. I will not use any of that money.

Once again. In the end the 100 dogs will get 100 doses of vaccine and 4-5 bags of rice that will be mixed later with dog food.

Does that make sense? Think it does. Sometimes this donation thing is complicated. It all makes my head spin a bit!!

I am ordering the vaccine today, it will take 3 days to prepare, will post pics and videos of the delivery later on. The medical wholesale company wants 100% of the money up front before they will make the vaccines, I will try to pay only 50% or 70% up front. They seem like a very reputable place with government contracts etc

I have less than a week before I return to Canada, need to get this all completed before I depart. When I am back in Canada it will be good to know the dogs are happy and protected.