Thursday, July 25, 2019

Email: A Nice Pat On The Back

Got a nice email yesterday. After all the rejections it is a good feeling to get something positive feedback sent to you. I had sent in a link to to the Asia Photo Review interview and "Families of the Dump" photos to a mid level public gallery here in Alberta Canada. I removed the personal information to protect the identity of this kind person.

The Asia Photo Review, Interview And "Families of the Dump" Story

Note* Today on a bit of a long shot lark I sent an email with a link to the Asia Photo Review story to the MAGNUM PHOTO AGENCY. This a long long shot at best, but just wanted to make them aware of the photographs, maybe the email below is pushing me to be a bit more aggressive in my promotion of the families story.

Note** For those of you that do not know, MAGNUM is a the best photo agency in the world, started by the legendary Robert Capa, Henri Cartier-Bresson, David Seymour George Sanders and  William Vandivert in 1947. The place is the holy grail of social documentary concerned photographers and photography.

Note*** Sebastiao Salgado is a former Magnum member and in my opinion the greatest photographer alive. I idolize the man and have all his books, movies and interviews. To have his name in an email anywhere near security guard Yaum's, is the highest of honors.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Hello Gerry,

For much of my adult life, I was a freelance photographer in the Ottawa region. I worked in many fields of photography. Some of my clients included TIME, Maclean's and Harrowsmith Magazines, as well as others.  Your pictures are very powerful, as is the story which accompanies them. Have you ever submitted your work to the World Press Photography Competition which, I believe, is based in the Netherlands. I feel your work would gain quite a bit of exposure if it was selected as having merit by the World Press Photo group.

In the article, you mention Henri Cartier-Bresson. Have you ever approached the Magnum Photo Agency with your work? Your images remind me of the work created by many of their talented photographers. The images also remind me of Sebastio Selgado's images of diamond miners. 

I do not have any input on the work which is selected for the Art Gallery's exhibitions. Speaking personally, I hope you have great success with your career. You are doing very important and significant work which needs to be seen. 

Jim ------
Acting Coordinator, Programs & Exhibitions

----------------------------
----------------------------
----------------------------

Tel:-----------------------
Fax:----------------------