Wednesday, July 10, 2019

My Bags Have Arrived From Asia

Hallelujah! The bags made it to my front door, dropped off sometime in the last 2 hours, 2 1/2 days after my return to Canada. The bags must have already been in a Edmonton somewhere during all the confusion of searching for them yesterday. Am relieved and happy. No time to open them up, am off to work for my third night shift!. My gear is safe, my gifts are safe, my exhibition artifacts from the dump have arrived (my clothes and underwear as well!).

The Samsonite bags last trip back to Canada, thanks dad

Update* I quickly opened the bags before I left, all the stuff seemed there during a fast inspection. The only down side is the cut off the lock on they smaller bag (who cares) but they broke the lock off my wonderful Samsonite bag. The bags must have been searched by someone, somewhere. The black Samsonite was a gift from my father many years ago. I used it on over 10 trips to Thailand. After hearing me speak about my first trip to Thailand in 1996, how poor my bags were (a cheapo multi set green cloth combo) dad bought me this bag. He worried about me taking future trips with such poor luggage so he took me out and we bought the Samsonite together. I had not asked to buy me a bag, he just saw his son needed one and went out and got him one. Dad did that type of thing for me my whole life, he was always there for me, always trying to help in anyway he could. The Samonsite was state of the art back then and cost $200 CAD, a lot of money in 1996. It carried all kinds of photo gear to Thailand over the years. It carried my heavy speedotron flash system for the "Thai Sex Worker" series, it carried a 4x5 Linhof camera (Klong Toey Slum and Mae Sot Dump photo), a 5x7 Linhof canera (Klong Toey and Mae Sot Dump again), a 8x10 Kodak Masterview camera (3 times to Thailand for the Sex Worker Series), a 8x10 Deardorff camera, and so much more. This looks like the bags last trip, another thing from dad gone. Will make a damage claim on the bag, might get some money back, not sure. I can use any funds to invest in another bag.

Update** Friday July 12. The wizards from Air Canada called today asking if I had gotten my 1 bag yet. Guess they did not know that I had received the bags two days ago (even thou I called and told them I had received the damaged bags on Wednesday night). They also thought I was only missing 1 bag not 2 (even thou I had told them 4 or 5 times I was missing 2 bags). You would think in the age of computers information would be better shared and service more efficient, guess not.