Saturday, April 25, 2020

Moving Chemicals To My New Darkroom Trailer

Got my first shipment of Collodion chemistry today. I placed Calcium Carbonate, Glacial Acetic Acid, Pottasium Bromide and Pottasium Iodide. I had a bunch of chemistry from before that I also took to the trailer from darkroom #2, including Ferrous Sulfate, Everclear grain alcohol, laboratory bottles of previously made Silver Nitrate, etc. 

Also got a bunch of glass beakers and other lab type bottles (all sizes in darkroom #1. I will pick up on the weekend and bring to the trailer. I wonder how good the old Silver Nitrate is (2012), and if it can still be uses. Also got a bunch of funnels, one funnel per chemical. Everything needs to be cleaned thoroughly. Waiting on some sticky velcro I need to light proof the trailer. 

My plan is to simplify as much as I can and standardize. I do not want to test and test and test some more. I will start with 2 Collodion types and then quickly (2-3 years after starting) choose one that works and stick with that if possible. Just as I do with film, always shooting Tri-x. Will try to mix some POE BOY COLLODION (want to try an non Cadmium, reduced Ether mix, for cost and safety) and QUINN'S QUICK CLEAR (probably my final choice).
Been planning this for years, it is exciting to have everything finally coming together. Soon can make some images!!! Or more likely crash and burn, following a bunch of mistakes. Part of the learning process thou, one brink at a time builds the grand cathedral!! "Ain't Photography Grand!!"


Some Bostick & Sullivan Silver and some I mixed up myself back in 2012. One of these has a badly screwed up PH. The big 5000 ML container is for silver later on when I am doing the big ULF plates. I think I might have one more of these large containers somewhere. Got to track down some of this stuff which has been in storage for many years.
Everclear Grain Alcohol available at Alberta liquor stores at $36.95 a bottle for 750ml. Wet Plate photography uses a ton of this stuff. I might try to use Denatured alcohol instead, ordered some of that from Dale in Nova Scotia (second Collodion chemical order).
Ferrous Sulfate, 8x10 silver nitrate box (also have new never used 16x20 box in storage). 4x5 plates for alum-tin types (have 3 more like this one), also some 8x10s that I need to track down. Beakers, filters, cotton balls, suction cups etc. The idea is to use suction cups for all the glass, smaller now, bigger later.
Old distilled water, vinegar, mixed developer, fixers etc.
The lab style stand will be used to hold large funnel (still need to buy) when I am doing all the required filtering (which is done often).
Glacial Acetic Acide, Pottasium Bromide, Potassium Iodide, Calcium Carbanate. Hope I bought the right chemistry! First try at this, there are bound to be some mistakes along the way, still learning all this chemistry stuff. Will no doubt eventually find the cheapest sources for the right chemicals here in Canada as I will be buying this stuff for a lot of years in the future IF everything goes right. The Calcium Carbonate is used to clean glass. The Potassium Bromide/Iodide is used in POE COLLODION, The Glacial Acid in the developer (can also use Vinegar which is a diluted form)
All the snow is gone now and the trailer is staring to TICK TICK TICK. I am so happy I bought it last year from Les, now things can move forward in an orderly fashion. I hope I can overcome things, hearing lots of you cannot do this and that from folks. Got to follow my heart, and work my lazy ass off and see there that goes. That philosophy has always worked foe me in the past, too old to change now!