Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Darkroom Trailer Build

The works starts to turn my new-used 14x7 cargo trailer into a working wet plate and film darkroom trailer. I will use this unit for the KANATA cross Canada photography project. Will spend the spring setting it up and the summer and fall working in it to learn the basics of wet plate collodion photography. I ordered $900 CAD of poisonous, carcinogenic and explosive wet plate collodion chemistry two days ago. Here is what the trailer looks like so far. It is getting a bit congested, I will need to streamline what I put in the trailer so I will have adequate work space.

Update* I got the red strip LED safe light working in the trailer tonight. It runs off a 4 AA battery switch I hooked onto the lights. I need to get some sticky backside velcro to stick the switch to the wall, allowing me to remove the switch and change out the batteries as needed.
I wonder how long they will last? How many hours of light will I have per 4 batteries? Am happy with this type safe light set up so far, will see if the brightness is right later. Too bright lights could lead to fogging, too dark makes it difficult to work.


First time I opened the door to the trailer since the fall. It was nice to get inside again, hook up the power and turn on the tunes while I worked!
The yellow unit on the bottom is the used generator bought for the Trailer last fall.
The idea behind the cooler is this. I was thinking that it might help control some (not all) of the smell and escaping gases from mixed Collodion and or Collodion and the Iodizer. The idea would be to keep those chemicals in the cooler(s).
The sink was bought last fall also. The idea is I want to be able to hook the drain and faucet to active lines if possible. If not I would use the sink with water bottles and with a drain going into a storage tank.
Shelf, plastic drawer unit all held in place with wire. Everything bought second hand at Goodwill, including the chairs. The bird winged statue might become the logo for the KANATA project, seems to fit the themes.
On the suggestion of an online friend I am trying a long line of red LED lights as safe lights. You can see them on the wall of the trailer, attached them last fall. The lights have still not fallen, become unglued, a good sign!


I bought a little on off battery power switch that I will try attaching. Here's hoping this will work!
Thinking of screwing the enlarger into the table to allow it to stay in its position while I drive. The rest of the table top things will need to be set up when the trailer is being used and taken down while driving.
The trailer has a furnace (upper left of photo), not to be used when doing Wet Plate work, as it might be an ignition source.
All kinds of boxes for camera gear. Not sure what I will take and what I won't. Need to minimize this area.


Chain on wheels. I have 3 different locking systems on the trailer to prevent theft.
Spare tire. I wish I had 2 spares as some of the areas I will be driving to will be very remote and very tire destructive. Might have to buy a second spare at some point.