Sunday, April 12, 2020

CAMBODIAN BROTHEL

An old photo from 2003. This young Vietnamese worker is in the short time room she took her customers, mostly Cambodian men at $2 USD a time. I was told some of the workers went with up to 10 men a day. The hardest and most ugly place I ever made photographs. I still think back to these forgotten women/girls and their terrible lives. Many of them had been trafficked and sold into sexual slavery by their own families. Many no doubt died ugly AIDS or drug related deaths. I hope some of the women who worked this place eventually found families of their own and happier lives.

Note* The original is on Agfa Optima 400 film. I also included a digital b/w conversion version  The photographs were shot in near complete darkness. I could only see where the worker was when the flash went off.

Vietnamese sex worker, CAMBODIAN BROTHEL, Poipet, Cambodia 2003