Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Anapon In His Room With Damaged Foot, 2019

A new photo Anapon. Khun Anapon is a man who I have been photographing since around 2012. He is the first man I met under the freeway and has become a friend of sorts.
An ex Muay Thai boxer athlete, Anapon now has a badly damaged-deformed foot and can barely walk. He told me if he walks a short distance he is fine but any attempts at longer distances is painful. Khun Anapon lives in a tiny 10x6 foot room made of found boards under the freeway In this photo of him, he is sitting in the doorway of that room. You can see his badly injured left foot. Anapon usually hides the foot from me but as we have gotten to know and trust each other, he is now more open about his handicap. Year in and year out when I return to Klong Toey slum in Bangkok I find him, in the same place, doing the exact same thing. Anapon just sits and stares out of his home into the darkness. Nothing much ever changes for him.
I love that he took the time to attach a small white plastic flower in his doorway, just above his head. A bit of beauty in a drab boring existence.

Anapon 47, in his room, THE FAMILIES OF THE DUMP, Klong Toey Slum, Bangkok, Thailand, 2019