Sunday, December 6, 2015

The Boot Man Cometh

I think I am now the boot man in the dump. After buying and delivering my first (bought) boots 3 days ago, a dump family 2 shacks over asked for a second pair of boots. I gave those up yesterday.  Then on this last shooting day on the other far side of the dump another request was made this time size 11s. How did they know I was buying boots?

Word has obviously spread from family to family that I will buy new boots to replace damaged ones. The original boots were provided by eyestoburma.org. They are functional and much better than working barefoot or with sandals. Still the ones I replaced were of the same quality, the cheapest ones in the store. They are cheap and do not last long with daily use.

Because their rubber boots became ripped or damaged more and more families are now asking me for new boots. The last request for size 11 boots I was unable to fulfill, I feel lousy about that, I let that person down. A combination of already giving my own boots away, of yesterday being my last day and a nagging back problem prevented me from buying and delivering the size 11 boots. Will try to complete that responsibility on my return to Mae Sot in early 2016. I need to make up for this failure.