Saturday, December 5, 2015

Eating Fried Fish In The Dump!

For the second time this trip I ate with a family in the dump. On the menu today was deep fried fish and vegetable in a dipping sauce called "Naum Jim" made from lemons and peppers.

As always my rule of thumb is whenever a poor person offers you food you happily accept and eat away. There were lots of flies on the fish but the lady cooking tried to swat them away. Everything was prepared just feet away from the garbage. Not sure how sanitary any of this was but as I write this I feel fine. It would be rude to refuse food from those that have so little. It would be doubly rude to refuse their hospitality.

The mother was cooking as I ate withe the father of the house and one of friends. People all around the cooking area were happy and maybe a bit surprised to see me sitting there eating with the the family. After a while there was a group of 6 or 7 watching who lived nearby.. One grandma I have come to know quite well smiled at me with her red betel leaf red stained teeth and nodded her head with approval.

I made a video and did some selfies, will post them later. This was another small, beautiful and memorable dump experience. Another day of fitting in, making donations and taking photographs.

"Life is Beautiful", "Ain't Photography Grand!!"