Sunday, December 6, 2015

Jerry! Jerry!! Jerry!!!

During my last three or four days with the families I would often hear the cry of "Jerry! Jerry!! Jerry!!!" from across the dump. The cries were from young boys who would come running through the garbage to where I was shooting. Then I would hear "Tah bong! Tah bong!! Tah bong!!!" (Photo! Photo!! Photo!!!). The kids would want old photos given or new photos taken. Hearing them yell out "Jerry!" with their child Burmese (Karen) accents was quite cute. It took me a while to realize and understand they were calling out my name.

The groom also called me "Jerry", I recorded his long complicated name on video along with the brides this trip. Will have to learn their names. I am sure with a longer dump stay more first name communication on both sides would happen.