Thursday, September 19, 2013

2 Options For Mounting

I want Dibond shopping today and came away with two options.

1) At the framing shop Larry got his prints done at I can get 20 pieces cut and the prints mounted for $808.00. This is the easiest option it would be professionally done and they do all of the work.

2) I can get 2-4x8 sheets cut for either around $405 or $310. The $310 version is not Dibond but something very similar it has a grey core, the $405 option is a nice darker finish aluminum with black core.  I would be able to get 30 boards cut out of the 2 sheets of material, which is more than enough. This option is available at a high end plastics company not far from where I work.

With both places I will have to attach the hanging hardware on the back myself. I am leaning towards option 2 because of the price difference. I got a test piece of material from them to try out, I am not sure I can dry-mount to it. The framing shop does not use a dry-mount process but some kind of laminating method to attach the print to the metal. If I can drymount to the samples I picked I will go with option 2.

Another possible problem is the guillotine cutter they plastic shop uses is currently being repaired but should be up and running in 2-3 weeks when I make the order.

I feel more at ease now, I have things sort of arranged in my mind, I know I can get this done. That $400 difference in price is very tempting, $400 will pay a hotel bill for about 20 nights. It would be good if I can do this myself because later on I may be using the same system if the Bangkok show happens, heck some left over sheets from this show could be used in that show.

Update* I was able to drymount fibre photo paper onto the surfaces of both metals in #2. The cheaper do it yourself option ($405 or $310) is the way I will go, I can save money and use it for 20 hotel nights in Thai. The only thing I have left to figure out is how to hang the mounted prints. An acquaintance in my new photo group has hanged large sheets of Dibond before, I can ask him tomorrow when the group meets for dinner.