Monday, September 30, 2013

11x14 Contact Sheets?

I need to become more organized in the darkroom, I spend far to much time looking for lost negs, and have difficulty choosing which negs to print. After watching a documentary on Sebastiao Salgado I have come to realize the value of 11x14 contact sheets for my 35mm rolls of Tri-x. I have an 8x10 enlarger and have done enlarged contacts before so doing them again is not a problem, my only worry would be the costs of the paper. Finding negs, and looking through the contacts will be much more efficient on larger pieces of paper. I will try making these enlarged contacts with the next group of film I shoot at the dump, lets see how that goes.

Another thing that Salgado does is make 5x7 RC work prints of his favourite images from the contact sheets. His editing process is as follows, an enlarged contact sheet selection, then 5x7 work prints, the last step is the archival fibre print. I might try to copy his procedures, one of the most difficult things to do is figure out which negs to print, tiny contact sheets and few work prints do not make the process easier.