Saturday, April 20, 2013

Rob's 90mm

Since the Linhof 90mm was such a disappointment to me I decided to look at several others with a possible purchase in the near future. My friend Rob let me test a Super Angolan Schneider 90mm F8, its an older lens with an older shutter but it might work out just fine. The other option is probably a Nikon SW 90mm F4.5, large image circle, sharper lens (by reputation) but also a physically  big piece of glass. More thought needed on this, I might get the Schneider for $225-250 the Nikon will probably be about $540-$580.

My first impression shooting these portraits below in very low light (1/2 second at F8) was that the f8 aperture is difficult to focus with, I might be much better served using he Nikon with a F4.5. My main worry is that if I use the 90mm indoors it might become to dim to focus properly, the 75mm which I also tested today is a F5.6 which was a bit easier to focus. 

I am considering taking the lens to Thailand for 3 weeks of testing! Of the 6 negs I exposed, 3 with the 90mm and 3 with the 75mm I lost 5 to subject movement (1/2 a second is to long to stand still), the only one that turned out is a 90mm sitting portrait at 1/2 and F8 with 200ASA rated Tri-x. I want to try shooting several more 90mm shots today before I decide on whether I should take the lens to work with in Thai.