Friday, April 12, 2013

Photo Subjects In Mae Sot

With my departure to Thailand getting closer and closer I have been thinking more on exactly where i will make photos this trip. I want to go first to the dump site to see if I can photograph there, I want to meet the families and make pictures of the family units and individuals.

I also want to try to visit and possibly make photographs in a few other Mae Sot places, I found 2 orphanages last night that I would love to visit, maybe donate some money, volunteer a bit and make pictures.

There are also several refugee camps not to far from Mae Sot, access to these places is restricted. You need a pass to enter the camps so I am not sure if I can gain access to make pictures.

I will have to see whats what when I get there, I will be going in mostly blind, with some knowledge but 100% on my own, I will just have to see what I can do with my 3 weeks. If the 3 weeks goes well, if I make friends, photographs etc I will probably go back two more times this year for additional 3 week trips each time. If things do not pan out if I have trouble making photos in Mae Sot I will probably try some place in Cambodia next trip.

The camps, the dump and the orphanages all hold poignant human stories, I hope I gain access and tell them, will see how it goes!

One of the places I will try to visit, Heavenly Home Orphanage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHw3MqDuAU8

This is another possible place to donate to and volunteer and photograph at, BHSOH School/Orphanage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmxI7zMA7Fs