Friday, March 8, 2013

Todays Printing

I spent 2 days working out a very difficult neg, one of the most difficult of the show. The photograph was shot in shadow with a very bright sunlit distant background. I had to use 3 burning masks, a low grade filter of 1 1/4, 1 1/2 and 1 3/4 (for the 3 separate prints) on the main subject, followed by 2 different filters of 0 and -1 during the mask burning. One burn was extensive, the longest I have ever done at 300 seconds at the widest lens aperture. The print also required some delicate dodging of the face, shorts and legs of the subject. It took lots of work but it is an important photo for the show.

Here is the shot, a man delivering a barrel of garbage to the garbage site at the Klong Toey slum market.


I also did 2 quicker prints with a 1 burn mask of a 35mm neg, this shot is the interior of a slum home (1 of 2 slum home interiors in the show), the home belonged to a motorcycle taxi driver who lived there with is wife and child, I think of this man often. When I offered the man who owned the home money for his sick child he refused, saying that he and his wife worked and they had enough money to pay for medicine.


I will go to sleep now and let this work dry, when I get up I will continue working on the interior shot then move on to another negative. I would like to finish this neg and 2 more to before the end of the week, then see exactly where I am so I can make up the final title list for the jubilee.