Saturday, March 30, 2013

Blind Work Packages

I am going to try something different. Getting your work seen by the people who can show it to the widest audience is always difficult. Its sort of a catch 22, the big galleries will not show the work of unknown artists but to become known you have to get your work shown.

I decided to try something that will not be to expensive and still has a limited chance of possibly, maybe being successful (now that's confidence!). Every year I make a submission of 5 photographs to the Alberta Art Foundation Art by Acquisition program. Since I want to big wigs in all the big wig galleries/museums across the the country to see the work I decided to send them an unsolicited package with a dvd of the work and my CV ( I might include a few bonus pictures). Heck maybe they just throw it in the garbage or maybe around year 5 (I can be very annoying!) they start to remember Mr. Yaum and consider the work.

It should not cost to much to produce and send these Yaum photograph packages, what have I got to lose? A few dollars for packaging and shipping? A bit of time? Nothing to lose and a lot to gain!

The terrifying places I plan to send these yearly packages to are (drum roll please):

1) The Art Gallery Of Alberta
2) The Art Gallery Of Calgary
3) The Museum Of Contemporary Art Calgary
4) The Art Gallery Of Hamilton
5) The Winnipeg Art Gallery
6) The Vancouver Art Gallery
7) The Ottawa Art Gallery
8) The Montreal Museum Of Fine Arts
9) The Art Gallery Of Ontario
and the biggy of biggies (in Canada)
10) The National Gallery Of Canada