Thursday, March 7, 2013

LensWork Extended Editions

Last night my friend Larry also gave me a Epson 4000 printer, a big high quality machine with extra ink cartridges and a box full of photography magazines. The main title in the box of magazines are all his back issues of LensWork which is a beautifully printed small photography magazine. Larry also was a subscriber for a while to the LensWork extended edition Cd's and DVDs, 16 of those disks he also included.  With each extended edition get a PDF presentation of wonderful photographs, video and audio files.

Last night I got to bed late because I got into a video file on Alan Ross (wonderful photographer and Ansel Adams official printer). In the vid there was an interview of Mr Ross as well as tour of his darkroom. At one point Alan spoke of using digital printer masks to do darkroom printing. I was able to find 2 of the 3 articles he wrote on this subject on this subject in Photo Techniques magazine, am still searching for the first story, fascination stuff. The masking this great printer does digitally sounds like a more sophisticated and precise version of what I currently do in the dark. I might try incorporating some of his digi masking techniques into my darkroom analog printing.

Tonight I need to concentrate on my own printing and not get distracted by the Lenswork extended edition disks and the mags, I will have time to go through all of them thoroughly when I am finished printing the show.

http://www.lenswork.com/index2.html