Sunday, February 27, 2022

Had A Good Day Under The Freeway Today

Had a good day “UNDER THE FREEWAY making photos today. Was out shooting for 4 1/2 hours, came back covered in sweat. The Thai is coming back, today probably spoke to over 20 people.

Some of the highlights from today, I handed out some donated dolls to migrant Cambodian children. Met Khun Ooh, Anapon, Bia and Champoo again. Met and photographed another 6 or 7 people. Everyone was friendly and kind. One police/security guy hit me up go 200 baht ($8 CAD) to photograph where he patrolled. It was sort of a grey area with lots of military around. Told him I would pay tomorrow.
 
Met one man named Dao who was in bad shape. He was very dirty, with long un kept hair, only 33. Not sure why he fell on such tough times. Dao did not speak much. He was cooking a soup over a fire made of plastic, wood and Styrofoam, you could smell the chemicals as the fire burned. I gave him some money for food and he quickly went off to buy some. I came back 2 hours later and he was still cooking his soup.
 
Khun Dao like Anapon sleeps in the open under the freeway, cars driving by constantly. A depressing and desperate place to live. Khun Anapon's home was better before they knocked down the freeway. There is a new freeway built in its spot, but the isolation and coolness and protection of the old concrete road is gone.
 d coolness and protection of the old concrete road is gone.

Will try to go back tomorrow. I promised to buy some medicine for Khun Ooh’s dog Yan Yook. He has a bad case of flees and a eye rash. When I told Khun Ooh that I would buy some medicine for her dog she waied (putting your hands together as if praying, a Thai sign of respect and thanks) me repeatedly. I tried to get her to stop but she kept waiing. She really loves her dog. I worry what will happen to her when the dog eventually dies.