Friday, February 25, 2022

Back Under The Freeway

Went under the Bangkok freeway today for the first time since 2019. Much has changed but somethings are the same. I found Khun Champoo and Khun Oye. Khun Anapon and Khun Ooh both found me.


I was taking photos when Khun Anapon yelled out to call to me from the other side of some railroad tracks, this was near to where he used to live. Khun Ooh saw me photographing on the road 40 minutes later and came over to speak to me with a big smile on her face. I spoke to her and I asked her to take me to her new home which she did, it was about a 20 minute walk, far off in a tree covered secluded area. I would never have found her if she had not found me first. A bit of luck there!

You could say that things worked out pretty well today. I found 2 of the people I photographed "under the freeway" from back in 2019 and 2 people from that time found me.

Also found several new people to photograph, Khun ---- (he showed me his 700 baht of cocaine), he seemed sad, Khune Na (showed me his sleeping mosquito net). Khun Ging (he lived in a area near some burned homes).

Khun Ooh also still has her dog, who is named Yok Yoon. Yok Yoon still barks at me even thou I have been photographing him for about 5 years. Little bastard!

There was an area around where Khun Ooh lives that had several older men stay, they lived in small run down shacks that had access to electricity and running water, there was even a toilet building not to far away.

I will continue to go to Klong Toey slum and photograph in the places I visited today, will see if I can find more later on. I think there are stories to be told there, maybe not as populated as in 2019 but there are still some important lives to share.

Oh yes, Khun Bia is also still under the freeway in the same spot. I spoke to his neighbour and he said Bia was still living in the same place but away working. I will try to visit him next time.

I could not find Jack, Dom, Vee, Ying or Owen. I will keep looking for them next visit.

Tomorrow I need to go back to my first hotel for my 3rd Covid test. If I pass that I will be free to restart THE PEOPLE WHO LIVE UNDER THE FREEWAY series, thou I might have to expand that story to nearby areas, as the main area I photographed in before has been demolished with only remnants remaining.

Used the Blad today with some difficulty. I will take the Blad and the Canon Mark 3 next time. Will also be shooting some film in the coming days.
 
Also went into an area where lots of migrant workers live, Cambodians, Burmese and Thais. Will return and give the children who live there some donated toys from Canada. Should have taken the toys but was not thinking that way, was thinking they are were for dump children alone. Can spread the toys out as much as I can tomorrow. Wish they were new toys but old toys work as well.

It was nice to see most everyone again.