Thursday, February 3, 2022

Facebook Post On Van Gogh's "Potato Eaters"

Reading a fascinating book ov Van Goh tonight. It is part of a series of 5 books on Van Gogh letters. I first saw this series of very expensive books at the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam (one of the best days of my life). When I came back to Canada I found a slightly cheaper online source for a used set. Bought the books and LOVE THEM. The book set is filled with all the original letters, translations, drawings and paintings. You get such a sense of who the man was and how he strove to create. The man is so so human, so beautiful in his writing and his work. You just got to love the guy.

from the blog...
From a letter to his brother Theo, talking about his painting "The Potato Eaters"
"The Potato Eaters" 1885 Vincent Van Goh
"At the point where I now am, though, I see a chance of giving a felt impression of what I see. Not always literally exactly-rather never exactly-for one sees nature through one's own temperament."

Volume 3 of 5 books on Van Gogh's letters