Friday, February 18, 2022

Facebook, Frames Magazine, Photo Story

Heading back to Thailand soon to continue the work on this series an the series at the dump. The photographs will be exhibited at the University of New Brunswick Art Centre starting October 28, 2022

Just learned yesterday that FAMILIES OF THE DUMP will also be exhibited at the FLASH PHOTOGRAPHIC FESTIVAL in Winnipeg, sometime in April/2022.
 
This photo has a special memory for me. About 30 seconds before I made it, I stepped on a nail in the dump. I saw him find the puppet toy in the garbage and pick up, I ran over to get the shot. The nail went through my boot and grazed the left side of my left little toe. After that days shooting (bloody torn sock/foot washed down with limited supply of drinking water), I spent 3 hours (eleven steps to get the shot) in the public hospital waiting for my tetanus shot. Often children in the dump go barefoot. In fact I photographed this same boy, Lay-Auh, 4 years later barefoot one morning at 6am as he walked through the garbage in 2019. There is also sometimes hospital waste in the dump, dirty needles etc.
 
Note* Taking safety boots this trip
 
 
Win family boy with found puppet, THE FAMILIES OF THE DUMP, Mae Sot, Thailand 2015