Monday, February 28, 2022

Anapon's New Home

I have been photographing Khun (Mr.) Anapon since about 2011. This is the first photo I took of him in 2022, I had not seen him since 2019 pre Covid. In that almost 3 year period he lost the boarded up room he used as home under the freeway. The old freeway was demolished by the government, costing him his room. He now sleeps under the new freeway in the open, with no privacy or basic comforts. No water, no electricity not even a door or walls. He has been living like this for about 2 years. There is constant traffic running directly behind where he sleeps 24/7.

The first time I came back after 3 years I was photographing a couple of hundred feet away, I did not see him, but he saw me and called me over with a huge smile and a waving arm. 
 
Khun Anapon is a former Muay Thai boxer who has a badly deformed left foot. The foot was injured in an accident an he can barely walk on it, limiting his ability to work.
 
Anapon 53, in his new home under the freeway, THE PEOPLE WHO LIVE UNDER THE FREEWAY, Klong Toey Slum, Bangkok, Thailand, 2022