Friday, May 1, 2020

Jack Staring And Touching Himself After Doing Meth

from Facebook...

Jack after smoking meth, laying in his shack. After doing the drug he was wide eyed and just stared around the room and at me before falling asleep. I only knew Jack a bit and for such a short time but he seemed like such a sad and lost soul. When I first offered him some money, he refused. I got him to take some cash the second time I tried, just before I left Thailand in 2019. During previous visits to Klong Toey dating back to 2012, I never stopped at the shack where Jack lived, his home in the slum was one I had walked past daily in previous years. I simply did not see, I was oblivious and ignorant of the man who lived inside. I am glad I entered Jacks life in 2019 and learned a little bit about him. The hope is to return to Klong Toey, learn more about Jack's life, and make more photos of him in 2019.
Drug use and addiction is something I have not photographed since I was 21, when I photographed addicted men shooting heroin in a small Jazz club. With the continued work on THE PEOPLE WHO LIVE UNDER THE FREEWAY series I might be getting deeper into the terrible, destructive, drug sub culture. I do not really understand the world of addiction. I do not drink, heck never even drank a full can of beer before, no marijuana, never been drunk, never had a hangover. This is all foreign territory to me. I will need to learn more before returning to photograph under the freeway.

Jack, dazed, touching himself after doing meth, THE PEOPLE WHO LIVE UNDER THE FREEWAY, Klong Toey Slum, Bangkok, Thailand 2019

Jack, dazed, touching himself after doing meth, THE PEOPLE WHO LIVE UNDER THE FREEWAY, Klong Toey Slum, Bangkok Thailand, 2019