Wednesday, May 6, 2020

First Collodioin Mix!

 from Facebook.

Yesterday I sunned and filtered my silver baths (have 2 from yesteryear) as well as tested my PH level. 1 bath was at PH - 4 which is good, 1 and 1 bath was at at PH - 3.6, a bit too acidic I think. Will test the specific gravity in the baths when I find my hydrometer or the backup arrives in the mail.

Did my first bit of chemistry mixing last night in the trailer. Made my first batch of iodized for Quinn Quick Clear Collodion and a bit of Poe Boy Collodion to try out. This is my first time making this stuff. I think it went OK thou I did feel a bit high and I do have a bit of a headache from the ether-alcohol fumes I had two windows open and a vent with a fan but it still got to me. Need to get the exhaust fan I guess. With time my working-making chemistry system will be more fluid and less, "What the hell do I do now?" That will come with practice.

I have a ice fishing test I bought years back, will get that tested in the next few days. I will need to light proof the tent as well. The trailer will not be light proofed this week as I am waiting on Velcro and black cloth to do the job.

I might be able to try to make some plates thou, if I use the trailer in combination with the ice fishing tent. My holder from Anton T is on its way, but I have a 4x5 hand made job that might work for now.

Made me some Poe Boy Collodion (no extra Ether or Cadmium salts) and some Ionizer which stabilizes the dangerous Ether for Quinn Quick Clear Collodion.