Thursday, April 11, 2019

Some Found Negs From Recent Days

Been playing with digitally editing negs in the same W. Eugene Smith might do his real life prints. Later on will try to print these images in a real darkroom on real photo fibre paper int he same way. A selection for you, some recently found, some older negs redone.

Vietnamese brothel worker in Cambodia, 2003. This is the most difficult place I ever photographed, the saddest and most evil abuse of lives I have witnessed. I am still haunted by the people I met there. This is the room she takes men to for their bought sex. 95% of her customers were Cambodian men, at $2 a time. I felt helpless there, took her photo, gave her some secret money (mamason out front takes all the money) and that was about it. I can still see the faces of these poor forgotten women-girls. They had condoms in the brothel but I doubt they are used much. This young woman, think her name was Tan might be gone now. She said she was 18 but I doubt that, maybe. Lots of the workers had the look of drug use on their faces, everything seemed so hopefless. Such a terrible terrible world some of us are born into, you lose hope thinking about it too much.
Migrant child in his Bangkok home, 2012 Thailand. This photo was made in a migrant shack home area in Bangkok, not far from my hotel in Klong Toey slum. The place was filled with migrant workers from Burma and from Cambodia.
Muay Thai boxer training in his Klong Toey slum gym, 2011 Thailand. The boxers at this gym work their tales off, to improve their lives as best they can.
Man from the new family outside his dump home, 2018 Thailand. He was sitting on the garbage in the darkness when I found him, almost tripped over him as I was climbing the nearby garbage hill.
New dump family, Thailand 2018. From the series "Families of the Dump" this family was new to the dump and the garbage. They were sitting in the dark in a make shift lean-two type home. The only illumination for this photo was my flash light at the cameras position. The lollipop that the young boy is eating was given to him by the donators who I represent. The boys two sisters are hiding behind him
Trees BC Canada, 2018. Just teasing out my Rolleiflex, nice to be out in the quiet, fresh air of nature after some of the other worlds you enter doing social documentary photography.
Rock BC Canada 2018. Just testing out my Rolleiflex, not really a landscape guy!
Muay Thai boxer receiving a massage, 2013 Thailand. This boxer is receiving a message before this fight which was the next day. On the last day before a fight the boxers all get massaged.
Old man in his dump shack, 2013 Thailand. This old man and his wife lived next to their children's home, they had a tiny little shack. He was in rough shape the last time I saw him. I (we) try to give them a bag of food and other things as often as I can.
Muay Thai boxer training at his slum gym, 2012 Thailand.
Dad the last week of his life, Canada 2015. My father was taken care of my mother for over 1 year, he died in this bed at home from Pancreatic Cancer, February 22 2015. Dad and I share the same birthday which was this week, he would have been 87. I visited his grave with mom today. I miss him so much. Two nights ago I had a dream about my father. In the dream he was rearranging the furniture in his house (a place I have recently taken over and changed up some). He told me “I do not like the way you arranged the furniture, am changing it back!.” That would be something dad would have done in real life. He was forever adjusting his furniture and decorating his beloved house. I used to help him carry couches and other thing about, always pulling them on carpets so as not to damage the hard wood floor.
Mother and child, in their dump shack, 2013 Thailand
Motorcycle taxi driver, Klong Toey slum, 2012 Thailand
Muay Thai boxer, 2011 Thailand. This boxer had just finished fighting, he was off the circuit a bit fighting in an area where there were only Thais. He saw me and did the traditional boxing pose.
Person hand working, 2013 Thailand. In the dump as you can imagine everyone becomes immersed in the garbage. Everyone reeks of where they work and live, it is unavoidable. When I go back to my room after a days or nights shooting in the dump. I have a long laboured washing process I need to go through, takes about an hour each time. The families in the dump of course have no such washing facilities, only some cold well water and a pail.
Matt, Thai ladyboy sex worker (Transgender person), 2011 Thailand. I photographed Mat maybe 5 or 6 times over a number of years dating back to 2007, a good person who always was kind and polite to me. Photographed her pre and post breast implants. She opened up and laughed at something I said in this photo.
Girl in garbage, 2017 Thailand. Also from the "Families of the Dump" series, I have photographed this young girl since 2013. She is the second oldest daughter in the family, rarely smiles and works extremely hard.