Friday, April 19, 2019

2 Children In The Garbage

Been scanning lots of negs lately from the 2017-18 trip. Many, many poor photos on my part in that group.  Lots and lots of poorly made and thought out images. Here are a couple I like, variations on another good shot of these 2 children posted earlier. One of photos below or the other the more frontal earlier version might make it into the Library display. The idea is to have all new, never been exhibited photographs in the library.

from Facebook....
Got a bit more positive photo related news yesterday. I have my first one on one introductory darkroom workshop scheduled in the new darkroom #2 space. Will make $180 for that with the possibility of a second workshop the following day for another $180. $360 will pay for my hotel room in Thailand where the dump is for 18 nights (the cost is about $20 CAD a night for a decent room).

So the photo stuff is paying for the photo stuff which is always a good thing. There are 3 positives on the go before I fly back to Thai and the dump in May.

1) the coming library display (lets not call it an exhibition) of 12-16x20 "Families of the Dump" prints in August 2019
2) the coming "Families of the Dump" showcase plus interview on AsiaPhotoReview site.
3) the coming single or double workshop next weekend which will help cover some trip hotel costs.

The other positive is that another person in this world will learn how to work in a darkroom. I hope he can grow to love it as much as I do. Spreading the analogue story is always a great thing. I hope the workshop inspires him to spend a lifetime in the dark, creating.

Here are a couple of scans from yesterday. I might use one of these shots, or possibly a more frontal composition for 1 of the 12 library display prints.

Frontal Version.of the image mentioned in the story
2 children in the garbage dump, Mae Sot Thailand 2017 (late)