Sunday, October 29, 2017

Young Girl Hides

One young girl in the dump hides from me, hides from my cameras, she might be 10-11 years old. I had not seen her before this trip, she is a stranger to me. I have met her 2 times now at the dump now, both times she hid. The girl would put a piece of cardboard in front of her face when I approached or tried to take photos. I backed right off, not wanting to frighten her more. If she does not want her picture taken, I will certainly not take it.

Almost everyone else at the dump, the families all seem to accept me. Taking photos or video with them is met with smiles. My problem there is to stop all the smiling, waving and peace finger signs. With the people who trust me I need to just wait until they forget me before making pics. The idea is to capture a piece of their real lives, their real existence. Richard Avedon said smiles are shields that hide the truth. I want my pictures to be about the truth, or close to the truth, or at least my subjective vision of that truth.

That young girl seems so sad, she just hid behind her piece of cardboard. What has she been through in her life? What things has she seen and experienced to make her so frightened? I have to try to make friends with her and her family. I am not sure where she lives or who her parents are. When I find them I will try to help in anyway I can, food? boots? over the counter medicines? whatever they need.