Tuesday, October 24, 2017

The Burmese Lessons Begin And, "What The Hell Am I Eating?"

I had to a man, an older man at the dump yesterday teaching me a bunch of words in Burmese. I wonder if he was a teacher, or an official person of some importance before he started his life in Mae Sot dump. He seemed to really hate being there, he seemed to hate working in that terrible environment (who wouldn't?), more so than many other family workers I meet. There was a sense of loss and sadness to the man. He wore a sort of a jaunty little golfing style cap, the kind my dad used to wear. The hat as did he seemed very out of place in the garbage.

Here is one of the words he taught me:

Camera =  KIM-FRAU or it KIM-FRAH (got to check again)
Update* Was told by another  old friend camera in Burmese was KAM-MER-RRAU, Maybe the other man was teaching me the Karen Language. Too many languages here!! Gives me a headache!!

I am also using my iPad to learn an important phrase or words now. If I can learn one word or one phrase a day (a tall order). I will be able to communicate so much better with the families. Most of the people there cannot speak English or Thai so I am very limited, too limited, frustratingly limited!!! When it comes to exchanging ideas with them.

Here is the phrase of the day.

What is this called? = DA-BEH-LOU-KOH-DEH-LAY

DAMN...am eating breakfast, am eating some kind of canned fish as I type this blog. DAMN HOT!! TOO DAMN HOT!!, not sure I can finish it. Just picked up the can at the store without knowing what it was. That is what happens when your in a strange supermarket where much is unfamiliar.

Update* I managed to finish the spicy fish (tuna?), guess I am toughening up food wise a bit. Tasted rather good in the end, still very spicy but a good kinda spicy! Plan on buying several cans of this stuff the next time I see it. Now I just need to find me some salt and pepper for the eggs.