Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Freedom! Plus It's Fun!

I love riding my motorbike, it gives me a freedom I have rarely had in Thailand. I can go where I want when I want and stop wherever I want. I love it! I can make pictures here or there, visit the dump 5 times a day if I need to. Having my own bike is wonderful all round. Heck outside of the chance that it could kill me (lots of wacky drivers in Thai including myself), it's great.

I felt more comfortable driving the bike this second day than I did the first. Hopefully tomorrow will be better still. I try to follow the example of good motorbike driving Thais and follow their leads. I am also getting to know where things are in Mae Sot. Today found the bus station, Lotus store, Robinson store and the dump.

Overall things are working out great with the bike, outside of me forgetting how to start the darn thing today. I need to  continue to use caution. I had planned to go early to the dump tomorrow while it was still dark. I think thou driving the motorbike in the dark all the way to the dump is still a bit risky. I will go later in the day a few more times before doing dark time driving of any kind. Once I am completely comfortable I will try driving in the dark.

Caution is warranted. Thailand is ranked second in the world in deaths do to road accidents, about 24000 die each year. 80% of those deaths are people driving motorbikes. Check out this shocking BBC article.
Life and death on Thailand's lethal roads