Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Sleeping With M and R

I usually do not write about who I sleep with on the blog but last night it was M and R, and it was delightful!

: )

Actually M is for "Michelangelo The Drawings of a Genius" and R is "The Rembrandt Book". Yesterday during the day I spent some time at the public library and came upon two large heavy books on the work of these two great artists. I have always felt it was so important to look beyond photographers and photography to all art and artists for education, beauty and inspiration. What can be more beautiful and more inspiring than Gauguin, Rembrandt or Michelangelo?

Photographers should not limit themselves to only to looking at photography, open your eyes to the much broader and challenging works of art history. Art of all kinds will move you, help you see things in new ways and lead you down the path to your own creativity, it will help you find your own individual vision. Beside all that art speak stuff, art is fun, it is as plain and simple as that. What is better than spending your time having fun and seeing and feeling some of what those great creators saw and felt.

Last night I was going though these books when I fell asleep with them beside me in my bed. Right now as I type this I have one of Rembrandt's beautiful self portraits glaring back at me. So it was a wonderful threesome, me, M and R.