Wednesday, May 7, 2014

5x7 Neg Dad Photograph

Here is a photo I made the other night with dad, 5x7 Linhoff and 120mm, Tri-x 2 seconds at F8.2. Hopefully the positive work with these tools will continue in Asia. This size negative which I plan to shoot in Asia next trip will be fun to print, so much tonality and clarity. Paul Strand shot on 5x7 film thou he liked the 5x6 format so composed accordingly. E.J. Bellocq must have used a 5x7 camera as well, the dimensions of the image below (haunting blog) seem to be identical as this shot of dad. Maybe it's destiny to be going back into the sex worker world using this camera to do portraits with, maybe I am continuing Bellocq's work (or at least hoping-dreaming that is true)

I plan on moving up to 8x10 available light work in Asia within the next 5 years. 8x10 will be as big as I plan to go for my people photography but I will probably eventually buy a 11x14 for alternative process type work. Before my photo career is over I hope to do platinum printing as well as wet plate stuff.

Dad May 5, 2014 Canada