Sunday, May 11, 2014

Photo Story: Anapon 47 Bangkok Thailand 2013

This photo was made in November 2013 as part of the "People who live under the Freeway" series, in Bangkok Thailand. This man Khune (Mr) Anapon lived under the freeway with 2 others in slapped together separate boarded room type sections with doors. Anapon was a nice man, he mostly just smiled at me and did not talk to much. He had a very badly twisted right foot and leg, it looked like he hurt it in some kind of bad accident and it was never treated in a hospital. Anapon walked with the big stick you see against the door in the picture. I would give all 3 people who lived under the bridge (Khune Go, Khune Anapon, Khune Sing) a bit of money each day I visited and photographed them (went there 5 or 6 consecutive days). One time after I gave out some money Anapon took his cane and walked  to a nearby store where he bought some rice and an egg, later on I photographed him cooking everything on a little fire in front of his doorway. Maybe the photos will never do much good but at least that day he had some food because of  my attempts at photography. I would very much like to go back and photographed these 3 again but this time with a large format 5x7. They were living not far from my hotel, I used to feel guilty going back to my clean large room with a hot shower, a/c and satellite TV after seeing the conditions Anapon, Go and Sing were forced to live and survive in.

Tech stuf, I believe I used flash for this photo as it was extremely dark. Leica M6 28mm lens with Tri-x, flash, developed in D-76 2-1 at 20C for 12 minutes 30 seconds.

Anapon 47 in his home, Bangkok Thailand 2013