Saturday, May 31, 2014

Advantages Of Having A Bangkok Condo

I have been thinking a lot of the possible, eventual, maybe, could be, condo in Bangkok and what advantages it would give me to create. Here is what I came up with:

1) I could set up a film developing darkroom, either in a 2nd bathroom or an adapted second bedroom. This would allow me to develop film to prevent a second set of X-rays on the return trip to Canada and let me to judge how the work is progressing over a 4-6 month Thailand stay (almost digi photo like).

2) I could scan the developed on negs on my Thai home computer and add them on my blog and website earlier.

3) I could store camera gear and other large equipment in Thailand allowing me to travel back and forth from Canada to Thailand and back to Canada with only a carry on bag for film and a few small expensive items.

4) I would save on hotel costs and have the convenience of my own place waiting for me without the need to check in, book rooms, deal with hotel staff etc.

5) I would have a kitchen which would save food costs.

6) Having my own space, with a small darkroom, 24/7 Internet access, art books,  film only fridge etc should help my creativity and production.

7) I should be able to find something along the sky train and subway lines which would allow me to get from the airport to my room and bed in roughly 45 minutes. Airport link to Bangkok then either the sky train or the subway to the room, possibly no taxi or traffic problems. After a 24 hour, 3 plane around the world flight it would be great to be able to get into my own bed quickly and easily after arrival.

8) I would have a base of operations in South East Asia. I could photograph all over Bangkok, Thailand and countries like, Nepal, Laos, Burma, Cambodia and India then return to Bangkok to recover and process the film.

I think this whole condo thing could work out very well, it might be the ideal way to spend the last 15 years or so of my photo shooting life. Eventually I could sell the condo and use the funds in my last years or if I have enough money sell the condo and donate the dollars to a worthy charity/charities, somewhere in Asia. This could all lead to helping others through powerful documentary photography and secondary helping through a large financial donation.

Here are a few more condos:

$165000 CAD, 112 square meters, 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, great central sky train location Bangkok.
$79000 CAD, 65 square meters, 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, near sky train in Bangkok.
$66000 CAD, 60 square meters, 2 bedrooms, 1bath, near sky train in Bangkok.
$32000 CAD, 33 square meters, studio, 1 bath, OK location Bangkok.