Sunday, August 4, 2013

The Vertical Portrait


Tonight at work I have been thinking of the monk photos, what they should look like. I quite often shoot tighter head and upper body portraits but what I want to start to do more full body verticals that include the feet. For years my 8x10 white background shots and my 4x5 portraiture work have been 3/4, 1/2 body and various versions of head shots, now I need to go wider.

This coming week off I will try to make some shots with the Deardorff and the 250mm Fujinon. I will make verticals with very limited depth of focus, maybe shooting at F6.7 or F5.6. I need to keep the shutter speeds up around 1/8-1/15 or higher. Like Sturges says the thing that destroys a large format portrait most often is the background, I need to concentrate on finding the right backs for the pics. Even if I have a very shallow depth of field of 6 inches or so I need to find at worst a neutral background or at best a background that helps the picture tell its story better. I will also try using my largest reflector to bounce some light on my subject.

Anyway it should be fun to do these portraits up, I will shoot the Ilford HP5 film (got it with my blog advertising money) for now but later if everything goes to plan I can do portraits in thai of Monks/Police/Soldiers/Ladyboys/Construction Workers/Fisherman/Students/Office Workers etc with the same set up using my more expensive Tri-x.

In my mind I can see the photos now in a nice gallery, large prints, dozens of them, maybe larger than 20x24, heck maybe life size. The prints are vertical portraits of people across the country of Thailand, my "Khon Thai" series brought to life. The portraits would tell stories of the humanity of the Thai people, the variety of who and what they are. It would be f-cking beautiful, and an important way to use this film. Gosh I got to try hard to get this done.