Thursday, August 22, 2013

Another Artist Talk!?!

I was not sure before but it now seems I am expected to do an artist talk in New Orleans for the PhotoNOLA "Body Sellers" show. Gosh that's 2 artist talks in a few months, one here in Edmonton at the University probably in September or early October another in mid December at the PhotoNOLA photography exhibition in Louisiana.

All this public speaking stuff makes me quite nervous, the thinking about it and the waiting for it is the tough and qeezy part, I know when I get going, when I start talking I'll be fine. I love photography and am passionate about my work so once things start rolling  and I get talking and talking and talking (maybe to much so) I will be OK.

I have to get more professional about these things, more polished and  competent, I need to treat these initial talks as great learning opportunities. Having the work seen, having the stories of the people who allowed me to photograph them told is very important to me, these talks are part of that process of getting to the next level with the work. I hope like this blog the talks will also help me to focus my thoughts to allow me to verbalize what I feel internally. Sometimes I have trouble expressing why I do what I do, why I feel so strongly that the work is important, writing about it or speaking about it public should help me work through those blocks to become a better photographer, a better artist, at least thats the hope!

This should be fun!