Friday, August 16, 2013

Going Simpler And Smaller Yet?


I am have been thinking over what I really need to take with me this coming trip. I need to go even smaller, simpler and lighter than I planed. If I take only 3 cameras and 3 lens, a flash and film then that should be enough. My current kit thinking:

- 2 Leica M6 bodies
- 1 Leica R6 body
- 35mm F1.4, 21mm F2.8 and 60mm F2.8
- 200 rolls of Tri-x
- small Leica flash with cord for bouncing light
- small light digi camera for vids and blog shots

I would be cutting out one more lens, sacrificing my expensive 28mm F 2, the lens is faster and a bit smaller than the 21mm but I really like the wider field of view the 21 offers. The ideal situation would be to use a 24mm F1.4 then I would have the speed and the wider angle but that’s a $6000+ piece of glass, can't afford that.

With this newest smaller kit I would never have to change lens, I would be a bit limited thou, if anything breaks down I would be down to two working cameras. The plan would be to travel with 1 small Domke camera bag, and one very small knapsack for film, clothes and odds and ends. With two simple light, small bags I could travel with ease. Five weeks with 2 pairs of light pants, a few shirts and very little camera gear, it should be a challenge but also very fun! I am getting excited about the possibilities to make photos. My thinking has to be all about the photos and what works best, what system will allow me to do the best work.

Should I abandon the 28mm? 

Update: After working on my Blurb book I found I had many of the photos I liked were made with the 28mm, I got to take this lens! 21mm, 28mm and 35mm are are very different looking lens. I also might need the speed of the F2 28mm. Having a 28mm F2 and a 35mm F1.4 plus the capability to push film successfully to at least 1600 ASA opens up many photo ops for me.