Thursday, July 17, 2008

Unlucky Start

Well I managed to lose my wallet! Will cost me about $200 in money and replaced cards. I am not sure if it fell out of my pocket or if it was stolen.

I tried to salvage the night by returning to my room to get more funds and making photographs. I ended up photographing 2 ladyboys, Aria (Som) and Mickie. Both ladyboys were photographed in shortime rooms above the street where there bar was. It was a bit dodgy to follow them up to the rooms in the dark through unlit back doors. Once in the room I made a number of technical mistakes while photographing along with having plenty of dificulty dealing with the heat and weight of the Banarama camera. Focusing was also a major problem as the rooms have almost no light. When I photographed female sex workers on the same soi (street) the rooms were much better lit, maybe the ladyboys like to work in the dark to hide their deficiancies. Focusing with the Bananrama was a major difficulty even with the attacted flashlight I used (anticipated this problem when I was in Canada).

Aria was sexually aggressive with me and kept trying to get me involved in non photographic ways, she said she did a sex movie once with 2 farang (Western) men, guess it was a professional shoot. I managed to hold Aria off so we could concentrate on photography. Micky was a much more polite person who I liked very much, she (he) had recently suffered a broken heart when here Canadian boyfriend broke up with her and went with another ladyboy (friend of Micky's).

I need to correct all my technical errors and concentrate on the photographs. I think I had first night nerves and am using new camera systems which is bound to have a few hickups. Outside of losing the wallet it was a OK night. I hope to have many good nights to follow. Already the ladyboys are lining up for shoots, I have talked to another 5 or 6 who would be interested in making photographs.

Am going now to the bus station to take a 3 hour ride to Pretchinburi to attend the final days of the funeral. I will be video taping the cremation process and other ceremonies. I should be back here making photographs on Sunday or Monday.