Monday, July 21, 2008

Danger

Making photographs here has a potential danger, maybe more so than in years past. I have no problems working with the sex workers in the industry my personal danger is a result of the money people. The bar owners the organized crime in the city and many corrupt policemen make lots of money out of the sex industry. If they feel that I am endangering that income with my photographs I could be in danger possibly life threatening type danger. Many farang males die in this city in unexplained ways, I cannot pick up a newspaper without reading about a farang who has died of unknown causes that are attributed to suicide. I read one story where a farang was found with his hands and feet tied, a plastic bag was placed over his head and he suffocated, the police ruled it suicide. I must be careful.

Tonight I was warned by a farang bar owner not to take photos on the Soi I am photographing on. I told him I would not photograph at his bar but the guy was drunk and angry and hard to reason with. I will stay well clear of his bar and concentrate on photographing ladyboys in there personal rooms over the next few days.

I am also not going to carry the photographs I shot last year any longer to show people. It draws to much attention to me (drew the farang bar owners attention). Most of the people from that time are gone anyway, I cannot give them any photographs because they are not around any longer.


It was interesting to see the reaction of the girls I was talking to in Thai when the bar owner farang showed up , the girls scattered and were obviously afraid of the man. His Thai wife the mamason of the bar also seemed submissive to him. She walked by us as he warned me here eyes looking down at the ground. I hate this type of farang who is a sex exploiter of Thai people, a drunk and probably a violent man. A dangerous man also for me, I need to stay well clear of him. I guess he has been running the bar for over 9 years so he must have connections with organized crime and corrupt policemen here.
A lower profile is what I need, that is one reason why I am not putting my exact location on this blog.