Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Snore!

So one of the problems I have when making Ambrotypes is how exhausting a 12 hour plus work day can be. I sometimes need and want to take a siesta nap at noonish when the sun is most harsh and the day most hot. My problem is I am usually all stinky with chemicals and wearing spilled silver nitrate on my clothes which stains everything you touch. In my RV I already have multiple lightly stained areas, even thou I try hard to keep things clean. It seems near impossible to not get silver nitrate and other chemicals on everything.

So what to do?? I could change all my clothes and take a shower and then a nap in the RV but that is time consuming, water consuming and sometimes you have trouble getting out of bed again. You end up sleeping too long.

I came up with a short time resting solution. I am not sure this will work but plan on giving it a go. I bought a large size, strong, camping bed. I will place it in my washing, drying tent or in a shaded area for a 1 hour nap as needed. I can lay on it in my dirty work clothes outside the RV. It does not matter if I get it dirty, no big deal if I do. It will be my working-sleeping cot.

The idea if it works will give me a refresher at mid day. My father used to do this when he worked in his old age, he taught me his technique. Dad worked at a farmers market baking foods. He worked there until he was 79. He told me he would take multiple naps during the day followed by work. He was able to keep going all week that way before the Saturday Market sales day. Dad was the hardest working man I ever met, he set a great example for me. I hope I can manage to work half as hard as he did.

Cost $174 CAD