Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Old BARGIRL Image, History

I was working on this old image today, it might be included in the retrospective book design TEARS OF A BUTTERFLY. The photo is from 2003, from a series I did that year called BARGIRL. I was in Thailand for 1 year in 2003, working on the series and other pics, miss those times now.

The BARGIRL photographs were difficult to do, I needed to speak a ton of Thai and I had to visit the areas the workers worked. There was lots of sadness, substance abuse, even violence. You also had to worry about the corruption of local police and bar owners who did not want true stories told about the workers they were exploiting.

Many times my subjects told me about their difficult lives. I got very good at the Thai language when it came to speaking about families. I had desperate people asking me to translate letters, help them emotionally or financially or just to be there so they could cry on my shoulder. Many times after a night of shooting, I came back to my apartment drained emotionally.

The BARGIRL series lead to the  longer (2007-09-12) BODY SELLERS photographs (8x10 studio shots on white backgrounds). After BARGIRL and BODY SELLERS I had to leave that world, got burned out, could not take it any longer. Going to places like Klong Toey Slum or the Dump in Mae Sot was so much easier in comparison, a much healthier place to be.

BARGIRL was tough but there were fun and lighter moments, some joy and happiness as well. I love the smile and laugh on this workers face (I will have to go back to my notes to find her nickname later). My memory of her is of a person who was happy, laughting, at least during the 1 time we made pictures.

Note* Picture shot with flash, a Contax G1 and Agfa Optima 35mm film.

Bargirl 1 in shortime room, BARGIRL, Pattaya, Thailand, 2003