Saturday, July 22, 2023

Print Sales? A Facebook Babble

Got this question today, and gave a long winded (my style) answer.

Lots of prints!
MW
You’re going to have these available for purchase?

  • Gerry Yaum
    MW......The booklets never happened (original story from 2019). I might have done for an old show, but that's it. I was thinking of doing up a webpage for print sales. Mostly to earn money to pay for the ambrotype project. The 2 recent ambrotypes that my province (Alberta Foundation for the Arts) might buy, would earn $2000 CAD. $2000 buys quite a bit of silver nitrate!! It's kind of like free, extra money you can throw back into what you love. But there never seems to be enough time. My idea when younger was that when I hit 70 I would spend the last 10 years or so of my life printing my life's work on silver gelatin and platinum-palladium. I thought it would be a good time to do it, retired, no job work, lots of time, fun to do, etc. Then I got older (now 59) and I keep having more and more photo ideas and plans. All kinds of new projects keep popping into my head. Want to do photos in Asia, in Canada, with this camera and that one, in this way and that way! They are all long term and difficult projects. Crazy ideas like doing a series on Indonesian sulfur minors who work in volcanoes. Mammoth Ambrotype photos of all of Canada along with series in garbage dumps and slums in Thailand, plus donation work to help those in the pics. It goes on and on. So when will I have time to print the existing negs and files? Not sure if it will ever happen. Maybe I could do up a website, with scans only and print the photos people are interested in, one at a time as they request them (if they request them). A much easier thing to do. Thanks Michael...