Sunday, July 9, 2023

Bought Me A Small Refrigerator/Freezer, F40C4TMP 12 Volt Refrigerator 13 Quart(12L) Portable Freezer

Picked up this little unit at 20% discount. A tiny fridge/freezer that can run off 110 or 12 volt. I kept hearing that I needed to have my developer at as near 20C as I can get it. The problem is the temp inside the trailer can vary widely during a day. It can be 12C at 7am and 28C at 2pm. I am not sure how much developer temperature changes affect the print, but I have been told by people I trust that keeping the developer at a constant temp is very important and one of the few things you can control. I have been told you want to keep the 20C constant, so you have some control over your image.

To that end I bought the itty-bitty fridge unit. My plan is to put jars of developer inside that cover my 20x24 plate size. I can rotate the jars and add new jars of developer as I use them up during the days shooting. The fridge unit allows me to set exact temps on it and also allows me to control the amount of power used, so it is less likely I will drain the trailer batteries.

I feel that any reasonably priced tool, to help AMBROTOS KANATA get done, is money well spent! Hopefully this new small fridge, helps make better plates.

Note* Fridges cannot be used for the same purpose to store collodion. Collodion has alcohol and ether in the formula. If you store collodion in a sealed small area like a fridge, the gases could build up and be triggered by a spark from the fridge compressor causing an accident.

So, to keep my collodion at cooler temps I will be forced to use a standard cooler with ice packs.


F40C4TMP 12 Volt Refrigerator 13 Quart(12L) Portable Freezer