Friday, January 26, 2024

SaltScapes Photo Series Idea

A book I viewed yesterday “Changing the Earth by Emmet Gowan”, at the main downtown Vancouver library, gave me a photo idea.

“Do a series of landscape photographs from unique but not too high a vantage point using my mini drone. Then take those digital files and make digital negatives to create beautiful salt prints. The series would be called -SaltScapes-“.

The images would be composed lower than Gowan’s stuff and be printed in more earthy warm paper salt print tones than his book. I have never been a huge fan of satellite style imagery. But lower altitude stuff along with the.beauty of salt might be a winning combo for me.

A mixture of the new “Drones” and the old “Salt Prints”to create a unique hybrid art!

Something might be done there!! I could start making work for thus project next week!!! Another chapter for the web image as well :)

Note* My answer to a Facebook friend’s statement that I should use a ULF view camera fit the project instead.

GY:

“I wanted to find a reason to shoot the drone. With mini drones you have more legal access to a variety of locations. You can shoot from positions impossible to compose from with a view camera (flying above water etc.) and create high resolution images. Then I could print large detailed salt prints. The best of 2024 tech plus the best of 1830s tech. It will be fun. Going to give it a go.”