Saturday, January 6, 2024

Mr. Win, THE FAMILES OF THE DUMP

Day in day out Mr. Win was the hardest working man in the Mae Sot, Thailand dump. I would usually arrive at around 4am, I would walk the garbage alone in the dark. Every morning around 430am I would hear and see (his head lamp) a worker approach out of the dark, it was always Mr. Win. This happened year after year on many of my 100 plus dump visits. Mr. Win would come early before the garbage trucks and scavenge the garbage that had already been worked by everyone else. Then he would work the full day like everyone else. I photographed him and his family from 2013 to my last trip win 2022. An amazing man, kind and hardworking. 
 
In 2015 I remember when he first saw me on my return to the dump that year, he came up to me and gave me a big hug (not a Burmese thing to do, not a custom). The hug surprised me! He laughed and welcomed me back. In 2019 he was suffering from an injury, he had an accident with a back hoe. The machine had hit him while he worked the garbage. We (the donators and myself) bought him some muscle cream which he applied with a smile and many thanks. Gave him a second tube the next day. In 2022 I found out that his wife had died. Leaving him a widower and his 5 children without a mom.

Mr. Win walking in thee garbage dump, 2016

Mr Win working the garbage, 2015
Mr. Win carrying found goods out of the dump to the buyers, 2015
Mr. Win in 2018 after his injury, when I gave him his muscle cream.